Barcelona president Joan Laporta said the club quit the European Super League to "rejoin the football family."

Published a day ago on Feb 17th 2026, 6:00 am
By Web Desk
Barcelona president Joan Laporta said the club quit the European Super League to "rejoin the football family" and because of an "uncomfortable" relationship with Real Madrid.
Barça officially announced their withdrawal from the Super League on Saturday, leaving Madrid as the only remaining club from the 12 that launched the project in 2021.
The Catalan club's decision came after reestablishing relations with UEFA, the organisers of the Champions League, and the European Football Clubs (EFC) -- previously the European Club Association (ECA) -- in recent months.
"With UEFA, we have returned to the football family, definitively leaving the Super League," Laporta told Barça's official media channels.
"We have left because it's a project that could not be implemented. It had unravelled. There were only expenses and expenses; no benefits.
"The relationship with Real Madrid is not good and it was a permanently uncomfortable situation.
"Barça have acted correctly and with complete transparency. We are looking for sustainability in European football and want to contribute to the peace of football."
- Barcelona, Real Madrid's uneasy truce ends with Super League withdrawal
- Barcelona teen Marc Bernal hails 'dream' moment with first goal
- Barcelona's Hansi Flick backs Deco stay ahead of elections
The Super League originally launched in 2021 with the support of 12 of Europe's biggest clubs, but a fan backlash in England quickly saw the six Premier League teams -- Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur -- withdraw.
Atlético Madrid, Inter Milan, AC Milan and, eventually, Juventus followed suit, leaving LaLiga sides Madrid and Barça as the lone faces of the project.
The two Clásico rivals continued to push the idea in recent years, which was rebranded and relaunched as the Unify League in 2024, without garnering any significant support.
Barça officially announced their withdrawal from the Super League on Saturday, leaving Madrid as the only remaining club from the 12 that launched the project in 2021.
The Catalan club's decision came after reestablishing relations with UEFA, the organisers of the Champions League, and the European Football Clubs (EFC) -- previously the European Club Association (ECA) -- in recent months.
"With UEFA, we have returned to the football family, definitively leaving the Super League," Laporta told Barça's official media channels.
"We have left because it's a project that could not be implemented. It had unravelled. There were only expenses and expenses; no benefits.
"The relationship with Real Madrid is not good and it was a permanently uncomfortable situation.
"Barça have acted correctly and with complete transparency. We are looking for sustainability in European football and want to contribute to the peace of football."
- Barcelona, Real Madrid's uneasy truce ends with Super League withdrawal
- Barcelona teen Marc Bernal hails 'dream' moment with first goal
- Barcelona's Hansi Flick backs Deco stay ahead of elections
The Super League originally launched in 2021 with the support of 12 of Europe's biggest clubs, but a fan backlash in England quickly saw the six Premier League teams -- Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur -- withdraw.
Atlético Madrid, Inter Milan, AC Milan and, eventually, Juventus followed suit, leaving LaLiga sides Madrid and Barça as the lone faces of the project.
The two Clásico rivals continued to push the idea in recent years, which was rebranded and relaunched as the Unify League in 2024, without garnering any significant support.

US and Iran begin nuclear talks in Geneva as threat of war looms, Khamenei warns Trump
- 11 hours ago
Usman Tariq confident Pakistan can bounce back after India drubbing in T20 World Cup
- 12 hours ago
11 security officials martyred, 12 terrorists neutralised in Bajaur assault: ISPR
- 13 hours ago
Tarique Rahman sworn in as Bangladesh’s PM after landslide election victory
- 11 hours ago

Gold prices decline in Pakistan, global markets
- 13 hours ago
Ramazan moon sighted in Saudi Arabia, UAE; first fast tomorrow
- 7 hours ago
Karachi AC survives petrol bomb assault in Lea Market
- 7 hours ago

France’s extremely talented and extremely controversial ice dancers, explained
- 21 hours ago

Pakistan, Bangladesh vow to work for regional peace, stability
- 7 hours ago
Australia, Ireland out of T20 World Cup as Zimbabwe qualify after washout
- 10 hours ago

UNESCO awards Pakistan’s first ever peace education chair to Prof. Dr. Hussain Mohi-ud-Din Qadri
- 11 hours ago

FMs condemn Israeli decision to designate lands in Occupied West Bank as so-called ‘state land’
- 13 hours ago
You May Like
Trending








