Saleem Malik terms PCB's move to release confessional letter as 'ridiculous'

Saleem Malik, PCB, ICC, spot-fixing scandal
Lahore: Former captain Saleem Malik on Saturday termed the release of confessional letter by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB)as ridiculous, GNN reported.

In a video message, ex-skipper Saleem Malik claimed that the cricket board informed him via e-mail that his reply to the allegations is not correct. "There are a few mistakes in the reply that need to be corrected", Saleem Malik quoted PCB saying.

PCB responded to Malik's letter to the board, it would be unable to do anything until he explains to the ICC why he had held a meeting with corrupt elements in England in April 2000.

It also urged the former national team captain to respond to the transcripts provided by the ICC.

Even though Saleem was cleared by a civil court in 2008, the PCB charged him again after receiving a transcript, of his objectionable conversation, from the ICC. The conversation is said to have taken place in the UK in 2000.

Though Saleem responded to the fresh charge in his reply he sent to the PCB last month, the latter declared it as unsatisfactory and advised him to give a proper reply to the said charge.

Saleem said last month he had replied to the above charge but now the PCB had come again with a new thing, quoting his apology he had tendered in 2014, just to get himself cleared.

Saleem Malik said that he was already preparing a second reply to the transcript when PCB brought 2014 matter on the scene. "I approached the PCB in the end of 2013, not in 2014", he clarified.

“I met then PCB chairman Najam Sethi, then COO Subhan Ahmed and PCB lawyer Taffazul Rizvi. The COO and the lawyer advised me to tender an apology and they will try to get me cleared from the pending inquiry on the ICC transcript.”

It is pertinent to mention here that Malik was banned by the PCB on the recommendation of the famous Justice Qayyum report. Years later, he had managed to get the ban overturned by a local court. However, he has still remained a persona non grata at the PCB due to his refusal to respond to the aforesaid transcripts.

Malik, who had earlier this year threatened to sue anyone who called him a match-fixer, was reminded by the PCB that he himself had, in a letter written in May 2014 to the then PCB chairperson, admitted his guilt.

“Sir, after consultations and on my free will, I have reached a decision that I am ready to accept my wrongdoing, apologize to the fans and want to start by rehabilitation process. I fully understand the consequence of my decision and am ready to cooperate to every extent with ICC and PCB for my rehabilitation program. I would request PCB to talk to ICC if required and start my rehabilitation programme at the earliest,” the PCB quoted Malik as saying in his letter.